Finally, FINALLY, after 18 months of the worst kind of procrastination, I am synchronising my Personal Kanban board with OmniFocus. Cue polite golf clap.
The code is shoddy and needs a serious review and improvement but it works. Running this from the command line:
- search for all flagged, non-deferred tasks in OmniFocus (that's the 'f' switch)
- create 1 card per task in my Personal Kanban Backlog column (and ignores any already present)
- looks for cards in the Dropped or Done column and closes any corresponding task in OmniFocus (the 'c' switch)
I've made a number of false starts with this script. But, now that it works, I'm seeing these benefits:
- reduced the overhead of dealing with so many contexts (I had more than 50). I have just 10 and each one is represented by a different card type in LeanKit.
- I can see my work in a way that actually makes sense to me
- I'm finishing existing work as opposed to starting new (like this blog post for instance.)
Next up, I want to:
- fix some fundamental problems (the script fails - badly - if it finds a task without a defined context for example).
- make the code more robust so that it works for anyone else
This is an example of my current board:
- card types correspond to OmniFocus contexts (e.g. white is @Waiting For, yellow is @Email, etc.).
- due dates are shown as Lean Kit end dates (see the 2nd card in the Dropped column).