I spend too much time searching for stuff in Omnifocus. Whilst I can use ⌘-O to search for projects and folders within Omnifocus itself, searching for tasks is not so easy. I can't quickly search using the search field because OmniFocus restricts the results to the current perspective or selection.
As a workaround, I've written a workflow that allows you to search for tasks and projects directly from Alfred. It allows you to:
- Search for all tasks within OmniFocus (irrespective of status) with the keyword .s
- Search the OmniFocus inbox with .i
- List everything in the Inbox with .li
- Search just for active tasks with .sa
- Search for projects with .p
Selecting one of the results Alfred shows should display that task or project in Omnifocus (assuming your View options are set to show them).
- Thanks to Seth Clifford for the useful feedback.
- Dean Jackson's Python library for Alfred workflows does most of the heavy lifting. Excellent stuff, thank you.
- Marko Kaestner's more in-depth workflow provided some insight into how to search Omnifocus.
- There is 1 outstanding issue with this workflow: 1 character queries aren't invoked by Alfred and can result in stale python processes. I'm looking into it.